Friday, July 2, 2010

Travel buddies

My reading and writing time has definitely dropped off over the last few weeks, and I blame all the great people Ive met on the road for that.

(Once again, I cant find the apostrophe...)

I feel like Im at summer camp again, bonding very quickly with strangers and spending only a short period of time together before we go our separate ways. This time, though, were all grown up and get to create our own adventures. Instead of archery or arts and crafts, we haggle with taxi drivers on our way to Mayan ruins, swim in caves by candlelight, and float down Guatemalan rivers on innertubes. So far theres been no marshmallow toasting, but plenty of communal dinners cobbled together from fresh ingredients from local markets. We still do nature walks, and this time they feature monkeys, toucans, and tarantulas.

Traveling with people Ive met along the way has taught me a lot about other parts of the world, too. I now count Israelis, Brits, Germans, Swiss, Belgians, Mexicans, Irish, Danes, Canadians, Aussies, Italians, Dutch, and Norwegians among my friends, and hope I can meet up with some of them again somewhere else in the world. (Thanks, facebook).

No comments:

Post a Comment