Thursday, May 20, 2010

5/20/10: Day One in Oaxaca

I wandered aimlessly around Oaxaca today and learned a few things, most of which are perfectly obvious:

1) The default salsa here in Oaxaca is not what you get at Azteca. I'm not sure there's a word for 'mild' in Spanish.

2) No one here wears sunglasses! I tried to play it cool and keep my sunglasses in my bag for the first few hours. Then I realized how ridiculous I looked in the first place: alternately white and pink, sweating, clunky sports sandals strapped to my pink, sweaty feet. Squinting in the bright Oaxaca sun didn't actually go very far in repairing my image.

3) Cell phone sales guys really are the same everywhere you go. My Spanish has been incredibly useful so far, but I still have a long way to go to feel comfortable carrying on all types of conversations. Most of the time, though, folks in Oaxaca have been really patient with me, speaking slowly and clearly, and rephrasing bits I don't understand. Not so with surly teenage cell phone guy! I'm pretty sure I ended up with the phone I was looking for, but no thanks to Mr. Mumbly.

1 comment:

  1. Don't miss Monte Alban. The pyramids and carvings are amazing. (Joys)

    ReplyDelete